https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Privacy Policy
  • TheGeniusMedia – Latest News, Naija News, and World News
Friday, August 21, 2026
The Genius Media NG
  • Login
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Genius Media NG
No Result
View All Result

Amid Criticism, Trump Confirms He Asked FIFA To Review Folarin Balogun Suspension

Tgmedia by Tgmedia
July 6, 2026
in News
0
Folarin Balogun Suspension

Amid Criticism, Trump Confirms He Asked FIFA To Review Folarin Balogun Suspension

RelatedPosts

BREAKING: West Ham United Wan-Bissaka Signs For Aston Villa

BREAKING: Kwara Senator Saliu Mustapha Picks PDP Senatorial Ticket Hours After Resignation Of APC

FBI Says Disclosing Tinubu’s Records Could Endanger Lives

Amid Criticism, Trump Confirms He Asked FIFA To Review Folarin Balogun Suspension

 

United States President Donald Trump has confirmed he personally asked FIFA to review the one-match suspension handed to USA striker Folarin Balogun during the FIFA World Cup, saying the decision to overturn the ban was the correct one.

Balogun, the United States’ leading scorer at the tournament, had been due to miss Tuesday’s last-16 clash against Belgium in Seattle after receiving a red card against Bosnia and Herzegovina in the previous round.

The dismissal followed a VAR review of a challenge that automatically carried a one-match suspension. However, FIFA on Monday suspended the ban for 12 months, making the 25-year-old available for selection.

Speaking at the White House on Monday, Trump confirmed he contacted FIFA president Gianni Infantino to request a review of the incident, insisting he did not pressure football’s governing body to reverse the punishment.

“I thought it was two great athletes who crashed into each other and got entangled,” said Trump.

“I think it [the suspension] would have left a big stain. I can’t tell them what to do. I don’t believe they made the decision; I believe it was the commission that made the decision. And it was the right decision.”

The US president also addressed the issue during remarks in the Oval Office, where he defended Balogun and questioned the referee’s decision.

“I spoke to Gianni, who’s highly respected,” Trump said.

“I saw the play and I’m a person who loves sports and was a good athlete, and I understand sports really well, really well and that wasn’t a foul, that wasn’t even an infraction, that was two guys running full speed that happened to crash into each other.

“These were two great athletes that got tangled up and this referee, who is a little bit suspect, if you check his past. I don’t want to say that, because I don’t like to create controversy, but very suspicious.

“He made a call that nobody could believe. He (Balogun) didn’t do anything wrong and he’s our best player, or one of our best players… and he (the referee) gave him a red card.

“It’s very unfair, you can’t do that. So, yes, I asked for a review by FIFA. I spoke to a man who’s highly respected (Infantino) and by the way, whose level of respect has gone up tenfold.”

FIFA has yet to explain the basis for suspending Balogun’s ban. Its statutes prohibit political interference in matters involving member associations, prompting fresh debate over the circumstances surrounding the decision.

 

The Genius Media Nigeria reports that Belgium have appealed against the ruling, while UEFA criticised the move, saying it had “crossed a line”.

Share this:

  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Tweet
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Tags: Amid CriticismFolarin Balogun SuspensionTrump Confirms He Asked FIFA To Review Folarin Balogun Suspension
Previous Post

BREAKING: Police Arrest Father Of PFIPC DG Adeyemi Adeniyi Amid Ongoing Forgery Probe Vs Gbajabiamila

Next Post

BREAKING: Spain Defeat Portugal To End Cristiano Ronaldo’s World Cup Career – #FIFAWorldCup

Related Posts

Newly Elected APC National Executives
Breaking

BREAKING: APC Speaks On Fixing ₦200 Million For 2027 General Elections Nomination Forms

by Tgmedia
March 28, 2026
0

BREAKING: APC Speaks On Fixing ₦200 Million For 2027 General Elections Nomination Forms   The All Progressives Congress (APC) has dismissed reports...

Read more
Wike Vows To Support Donald Trump To Fight Terrorism

BREAKING: Wike Vows To Support Donald Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria

November 3, 2025
NDDC Boss

We Will Continue to Support the Army, NDDC Boss Assures

February 13, 2025
Next Post
Spain Defeat Portugal

BREAKING: Spain Defeat Portugal To End Cristiano Ronaldo's World Cup Career - #FIFAWorldCup

Please login to join discussion
ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Thegenius Media.com.ng is an Online Nigerian NEWS HUB with good coverage and reportage of Exclusive Stories, Daily News Updates, Politics, Entertainment, Crime, Lifestyle, Relationship Tips and Sports.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: thegeniusmedia1@gmail.com

Office Address

No 26 Oroleye Crescent off Abel Oreniyi Street.
Off Salvation Road, Opebi
Ikeja, Lagos

Tel:

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports

© TheGeniusMedia.com,ng

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Discover more from The Genius Media NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

%d