https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/
ADVERTISEMENT
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Privacy Policy
  • TheGeniusMedia – Latest News, Naija News, and World News
Saturday, May 23, 2026
The Genius Media NG
  • Login
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Genius Media NG
No Result
View All Result
First Bank Ad First Bank Ad First Bank Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

JUST IN: At Last, Burkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian Officers Detained After Controversial Air Force Landing

Tgmedia by Tgmedia
December 10, 2025
in News
0
Burkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian Officers

JUST IN: At Last, Burkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian Officers Detained After Controversial Air Force Landing

ADVERTISEMENT

RelatedPosts

Civil Society Organisations Threaten Sustained Civic Actions Unless Fresh Niger South APC Senatorial Primary Holds

Ogbuku Reaffirms Commitment to Reforms in NDDC

As Expected Police Force Take Disciplinary Action Against Officer Who Threatened To Kill People Filming Him

JUST IN: At Last, Burkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian Officers Detained After Controversial Air Force Landing

 

urkina Faso has released 11 Nigerian military officers detained after their Air Force transport aircraft made what the authorities described as an unauthorised landing in the country, officials confirmed on Tuesday.

Business Insider reports that the officers were allowed to return home after Burkinabè authorities completed preliminary checks, conducted amid suspicions of their involvement in the Benin coup rescue.

The officers, two crew members and nine military passengers, were aboard a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) C-130 that landed on Monday in the western city of Bobo-Dioulasso.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government described the stop as a technical emergency landing while the aircraft was en route to Portugal.

Burkinabè authorities, however, countered that the aircraft violated national procedures by entering the country’s airspace without authorisation.

Territorial Administration Minister Emile Zerbo said the sudden arrival triggered an immediate security response.

“The aircraft flew into Burkina Faso without clearance,” he stated, adding that the situation warranted rapid intervention by defence and intelligence units.

ADVERTISEMENT

The military governments of Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, united under the Alliance of Sahel States (AES), issued a joint statement late Monday describing the incident as a confirmed “violation of its airspace and the sovereignty of its member states.”

The bloc labelled Nigeria’s action an “unfriendly act” and announced that its air forces had been placed on maximum alert with orders to neutralise any aircraft that breached AES-controlled airspace.

Despite the fiery rhetoric, Burkinabè security officials told the BBC that the Nigerian officers were questioned, cleared, and later permitted to depart.

The Nigerian Air Force offered a mild and diplomatic version of events, saying a technical fault compelled the crew to divert in accordance with international aviation safety procedures.

The NAF insisted its personnel were safe and had received cordial treatment from the host authorities, but stopped short of confirming whether the officers had been detained.

However, relations between Nigerian government and the AES governments have deteriorated sharply over the last year.

Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, each led by a military junta, have accused Nigeria of overreaching in regional security operations, especially in Benin, where Nigeria has helped coordinate interventions against coup threats.

The three states withdrew from ECOWAS earlier this year, accusing the bloc, led by Nigeria, of political interference and failing to confront jihadist violence.

Since then, the juntas have deepened military and political cooperation within the AES, pushed out several Western partners including France, and moved closer to Russia for security support.

Meanwhile, in a related development, Niger introduced new restrictions on goods entering from Nigeria, citing heightened security concerns and suspicions over Nigerian military activity across the Sahel.

“For security requirements, all goods originating from Nigeria must be unloaded and inspected at the entry offices before any transit formalities,” said Colonel Mohamed Yacouba Siddo in a directive issued Tuesday.

SaharaReporters previously reported that Burkina Faso’s ruling junta had detained 11 Nigerian military officers and seized a Nigerian Air Force C-130 transport aircraft after it made an emergency landing in Bobo Dioulasso on Monday, allegedly without clearance to enter the country’s airspace.

The incident, which has raised fresh tensions between Abuja and the military regimes in the Sahel, was disclosed in a late-night statement issued by the AES.

Share this:

  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Tweet
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More

Like this:

Like Loading…
Tags: Burkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian OfficersBurkina Faso Releases 11 Nigerian Officers Detained After Controversial Air Force Landing
" data-ad-slot="">
Previous Post

BREAKING: Nigeria Police Begin Recruitment Of Retired Officers As Ad-Hoc Trainers For New Recruits

Next Post

BREAKING: Wike’s PDP Sinks Deeper As Fubara And Adeleke Formally Dump Party

Related Posts

News

BREAKING: HRH Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife Welcomes Baby Boy

by Tgmedia
November 18, 2020
0

BREAKING: HRH Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife Welcomes Baby Boy---A Prince has just being birthed to the royal throne of...

Read more

Court Battle Between Ambode Vs Lagos Assembly Shifts To Jan. 2020

November 20, 2019

BOEING 737 MAX CRASH: Families of Pius Adesanmi, 345 others To get N52 Million Each

September 25, 2019
Next Post
Fubara And Adeleke Formally Dump Party

BREAKING: Wike's PDP Sinks Deeper As Fubara And Adeleke Formally Dump Party

Please login to join discussion
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
" data-ad-slot="">

About Us

Thegenius Media.com.ng is an Online Nigerian NEWS HUB with good coverage and reportage of Exclusive Stories, Daily News Updates, Politics, Entertainment, Crime, Lifestyle, Relationship Tips and Sports.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: thegeniusmedia1@gmail.com

Office Address

No 26 Oroleye Crescent off Abel Oreniyi Street.
Off Salvation Road, Opebi
Ikeja, Lagos

Tel:

Copyright © 2024 TheGeniusMedia.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports

© TheGeniusMedia.com,ng

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Discover more from The Genius Media NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

%d