Connect with us

News

US Visa applicants to provide 5 years of social media history

Published

on

By

The US government is proposing to collect social media identities from nearly everyone who seeks US Visa, according to a State Department filing on Friday.

The proposal, a broad expansion of the information gathered from applicants for U.S. visas, if approved by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), would require most immigrant and non-immigrant visa applicants to list all social media identities they have used in the past five years.

The information will be used to vet and identify them, according to the proposals, which would affect about 14.7 million people annually.

The proposals support President Donald Trump’s promise to institute “extreme vetting” of foreigners entering the United states to prevent terrorism.

Previously, under rules instituted last May, consular officials were instructed to collect social media identifiers only when they determined “that such information is required to confirm identity or conduct more rigorous national security vetting,” a State Department official said at the time.

The State Department said then that the tighter vetting would apply only to those “who have been determined to warrant additional scrutiny in connection with terrorism or other national security-related visa ineligibilities.”

The American Civil Liberties Union expressed concern, saying the move would have a “chilling” effect on freedom of speech and association.

“People will now have to wonder if what they say online will be misconstrued or misunderstood by a government official,” Hina Shamsi, director ACLU’s National Security Project, said in a statement.

“We’re also concerned about how the Trump administration defines the vague and over-broad term ‘terrorist activities’ because it is inherently political and can be used to discriminate against immigrants who have done nothing wrong,” he said.

“There is a real risk that social media vetting will unfairly target immigrants and travelers from Muslim-majority countries for discriminatory visa denials, without doing anything to protect national security.”

The new proposal was published in the Federal Register on Friday. The public has 60 days to comment on the revised procedures before the OMB approves or rejects them.

If approved, the measures also will require applicants to submit five years of previously used telephone numbers, email addresses and their international travel history. They will be asked if they have been deported or removed from any country and whether family members have been involved in terrorist activities, the department said.

The department said it intends not to routinely ask most diplomatic and official visa applicants for the additional information

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

TRENDING: Pastor’s Wife Who Mistakenly Sends Her N*de Video To Church Whatsapp Group Attempts Suicide

Pastor’s Wife who mistakenly sent her Nude Video to members of her church using the WhatsApp texting service on mobile phones has reportedly attempted suicide out of embarrassment.

Published

on

By

TRENDING: Pastor’s Wife Who Mistakenly Sends Her N*de Video To Church Whatsapp Group Attempts Suicide

Pastor’s Wife who mistakenly sent her Nude Video to members of her church using the WhatsApp texting service on mobile phones has reportedly attempted suicide out of embarrassment.

‘Osofo Maame’ who has become a subject of public discussion, especially among members of the husband’s church, was reported to have tried drinking a liquid poisonous substance but for the timely intervention of family relations who have for all this while kept an eye on her after she sent photos and videos of her genitals to them.

According to information gathered by mandynews.com, the woman in her mid-30s who is nursing a 6-month-old baby intended to send the pictures to her husband who was on a trip outside the country only for it to be mistakenly land on the church group.

To her utter dismay, she reportedly realized her mistake right after pressing the send button on her mobile phone.

Members of the church group who received the photos, videos and message were shocked and outraged. They tried to call up the pastor’s wife, who wouldn’t answer. The then started quitting the group one after the other.

In two separate videos, 58 and 31 seconds respectively, she is seen facing the camera, kneeling, wiggling her waist and fondling herself concurrently.

That was after she was earlier captured in a bath showcasing her thighs among others while capturing what she was doing.

Interestingly, a child believed to be hers is heard crying in the background but the lady who appeared to be enjoying herself turned deaf ears to the child.

Continue Reading

News

Embarrassment As Twitter Deletes Minister Keyamo’s Leaked Chat With Eedris Abdulkareem

Published

on

By

Embarrassment As Twitter Deletes Minister Keyamo’s Leaked Chat With Eedris Abdulkareem

Embarrassment As Twitter Deletes Minister Keyamo’s Leaked Chat With Eedris Abdulkareem—-The Genius Media Nigeria reports that Twitter on Sunday deleted tweets by the minister of state for labour and employment Festus Keyamo where he leaked private conversation between him and singer Eedris Abdulkareem.

This reliable platform gathered that Part of the tweets made on Saturday night contained Eedris’ phone number.

In deleting the tweets, Twitter said the minister “violated the rules” of the platform.

Mr Keyamo had held nothing back in attacking Eedris, claiming the singer made a poor attempt at blackmailing him in his new song ‘Jaja Jaga Reloaded’.

Embarrassment As Twitter Deletes Minister Keyamo’s Leaked Chat With Eedris Abdulkareem

The minister claimed Eedris once begged to be part of the Buhari Campaign Organisation which he directed in 2018.

“In 2018, when I was named the Director of Strategic Communications for Buhari Campaign Organisation, Eedris waxed a song in support of Buhari and wanted to join us, albeit for a fee. He then made desperate efforts to see me through text messages from his phone no,” the now-deleted tweet read.

Shortly after Twitter took down the leaked chat, Keyamo tweeted: “Job done.”

Continue Reading

News

EXPOSED!!! How Kogi Governor Yahaya Bello Allegedly Misused N4.5Billion COVID-19 Funds

Published

on

By

Accordďing to reports SERAP GROUP, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is being called upon to proble Kogi Governor who is alleged to have misused N4.5bn COVID-19 funds.

The Genius Media Nigeria gathered that Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP, the public advocacy group has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to “direct the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami, SAN and appropriate anti-corruption agencies to investigate alleged misuse of the N4.5 billion donations, loans and support the Kogi State government obtained from the Federal Government, including N90,720,000 reportedly spent on software to track COVID-19 cases in the state.”

SERAP stated that “if there is relevant and sufficient admissible evidence, anyone suspected to be involved should face prosecution, as appropriate.”

In the letter dated 27 March 2021 and signed by SERAP deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare, the organization said: “Directing the Attorney General of the Federation and appropriate anti-corruption agencies as recommended is constitutional, and would be entirely consistent with your promise in your inaugural speech to ‘ensure responsible and accountable governance at all levels of government in the country.’”

SERAP quoted Buhari as promising in his inaugural speech on 29th May, 2015 that: ‘The Federal Government would not fold its arms and close its eyes to what is going on in the states and local governments. It will ensure that the gross corruption at the local level is checked. For I will not have kept my own trust with the Nigerian people if I allow others abuse theirs under my watch.’”

SERAP stated: “As you have correctly stated, the obligations of your government to combat corruption in Nigeria extend to all the three tiers of government, namely, the federal, state and local governments.”

The letter, read in part: “Although primarily a matter of concern for Kogi State, the allegations of misuse of COVID-19 funds drawn from the Federal Government have assumed such a proportion as to become a matter of concern to the federation as a whole, and therefore, to your government.”

“SERAP is concerned about growing allegations of corruption and mismanagement of public funds in several of the 36 states of the Federation, and the apparent lack of prompt, thorough, independent and transparent investigations into these allegations, allowing suspected perpetrators to frequently escape justice.”

Advertisement

“Taking prompt action to probe the allegations would promote transparency and accountability, serve the common good, peace, order and good government of the federation (which includes Kogi State through the Kogi governor). It would help to enhance your government’s fight against corruption and contribute hugely to improving the public confidence and trust in your commitment to combat grand corruption.”

“We would be grateful if the recommended measures are taken within 14 days of the receipt and/or publication of this letter. If we have not heard from you by then, SERAP shall take all appropriate legal actions to compel your government to comply with our request.”

“SERAP also believes that given the history of corruption in Nigeria, especially several unresolved allegations of grand corruption involving many of the 36 state governments, your government cannot and should not look the other way regarding the allegations of misuse of COVID-19 funds involving the Kogi State government. Such allegations in any state of Nigeria are of concern to every Nigerian, and should therefore be of concern to your government.”

“Taking the recommended measures would also show that your government is concerned with the overall well-being of the federation and willing and able to enforce important constitutional principles.”

“According to our information, the Kogi governor in 2020 allegedly spent N90,720,000 on ‘COVID-19 software.’ The software was reportedly approved by Governor Yahaya Bello, for tracking COVID-19 cases and prevent the spread of the disease in the state. However, the company that developed the software has reportedly stated that it costs only N300,000.”

“The software has reportedly stopped functioning just one year after it was installed. The N90,720,000 spent on COVID-19 software is part of the N4.5 billion donations, loans and support, which Kogi State reportedly obtained from the Federal Government.”

“Ensuring the investigation and prosecution of the allegations would also be entirely consistent with the provisions of section 15 subsection (5) of the Nigerian Constitution 1999 [as amended], which requires your government to abolish all corrupt practices and abuse of power, regardless of the state where such practices are taking place.”

“Section 15 specifically defines “government” to include the government of the federation, or of any state, or of a local government council or any person who exercises power or authority on its behalf.”

“Similarly, the Attorney-General of the Federation has power, conferred on him by section 174(1)(a) of the Nigerian Constitution, and anti-corruption agencies have the powers to act on the allegations of misuse of the N4.5 billion donations, loans and support by the Kogi State government obtained, including N90,720,000 spent on software to track COVID-19 cases in the state.”

“Our requests are brought in the public interest, and in keeping with the requirements of the Nigerian Constitution; the country’s international obligations including under the UN Convention against Corruption, and the African Union Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption, as well as your expressed commitment in your inaugural speech on 29th May, 2015 ‘to check gross corruption at the local level.’”

The letter is copied to Mr Malami; Professor Bolaji Owasanoye, Chairman Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC); and Mr Abdulrasheed Bawa, Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

Trending