https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Privacy Policy
  • TheGeniusMedia – Latest News, Naija News, and World News
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Genius Media NG
  • Login
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Genius Media NG
No Result
View All Result

BREAKING: Federal Government Begins Payment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 Inmates

Tgmedia by Tgmedia
November 18, 2023
in Breaking, News
0
Payment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 Inmates

BREAKING: Federal Government Begins Payment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 Inmates

RelatedPosts

BREAKING: Real Cause Of Ogogo’s Death Revealed

BREAKING: Nollywood Actor Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Is Dead [VIDEO]

Damola Aiyeola at 60: Aare Adetola Emmanuelking Celebrates RSSOSA UK Vice President’s Life of Faith, Family and Service

BREAKING: Federal Government Begins Payment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 Inmates—–The Federal Government has flagged off the payment N585 million release fine for 4,000 inmates as part of its effort to decongest the correctional facility in the country.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on Saturday while flagging off the initiative at Kuje prison, in Abuja.

Tunji-Ojo said that inmates who have fines not exceeding N1 million are qualified to benefit from the ministry’s initiative. According to him, the number of these inmates is about 4,068.

He said the initiative will promote the decongestion of the correctional facility and mitigate against overdue detention of inmates due to lack of bail funds.

  • “It’s with great pleasure that I stand with you today to flag off the release of 4,068 inmates sentenced to various terms of imprisonment with the option of fine and compensation in custodial status nationwide. This is in a bid to decongest custodial centres as well as make ready proper reformation and rehabilitation of offenders to take place.
  • “As of yesterday, the 17th of November 2023, there were about 8804 inmates in 253 custodial facilities nationwide with a total installed capacity of less than 50,000. It shows that our custodial centres are overcrowded, necessitating this initiative we are flagging off today,” he said.

Furthermore, the Minister also noted that the government will not be funding the program by itself, but will be funded through a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative from private sector players and philanthropists nationwide.

  • “Most of the inmates are indigents who cannot afford to pay their fine languishing in custody. The total fund of N585 million was raised by cooperate bodies as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)  for this purpose. Hence, all inmates in custodial centres who have fines or compensation not exceeding 1 million are qualified and will benefit from this gesture. In addition, we are also providing each of them a stipend to enable them to stand in their community,” he added.

Backstory

Earlier in October, the Minister of Interior confirmed that the federal government will pay N500 million as a bail fine for 4,000 inmates in custodial facilities whose bail term does not exceed N1 million.

He confirmed this while featuring on Arise TV.

He assured that the fines would be cleared and the inmates would be released in the next four weeks.

The minister added that the ministry pulled the funds together through “dealing with the private sector in terms of CSR”.

Share this:

  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Tweet
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Tags: Federal Government Begins Payment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 InmatesPayment Of N585M Fine For Release Of 4000 Inmates
Previous Post

BREAKING: Nigerian Chef Tope Maggie Breaks Alan Fisher’s 119-Hour And 57-Minute Cooking Record

Next Post

JUST IN: OpenAI Co-Founder Greg Brockman Quits The Company [DETAILS]

Related Posts

Manchester City Vs Arsenal
News

Meet Referee To Officiate Manchester City Vs Arsenal Clash

by Tgmedia
September 17, 2024
0

Referee that would Officiate Manchester City Vs Arsenal Clash has been announced.   The Genius Media Nigeria reports that The...

Read more
Oworonshoki-Apapa Expressway

Oworonshoki-Apapa Expressway: Tinubu Commends Dangote, Describes Project 10th Wonder Of The World

May 26, 2024

OFFA ROBBERY: Fresh Court Order On Saraki’s Involvement In The Case.

September 18, 2018
Next Post
Greg Brockman

JUST IN: OpenAI Co-Founder Greg Brockman Quits The Company [DETAILS]

Please login to join discussion
ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Thegenius Media.com.ng is an Online Nigerian NEWS HUB with good coverage and reportage of Exclusive Stories, Daily News Updates, Politics, Entertainment, Crime, Lifestyle, Relationship Tips and Sports.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: thegeniusmedia1@gmail.com

Office Address

No 26 Oroleye Crescent off Abel Oreniyi Street.
Off Salvation Road, Opebi
Ikeja, Lagos

Tel:

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports

© TheGeniusMedia.com,ng

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Discover more from The Genius Media NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

%d