New EFCC Chairman: Who Is Ola Olukoyede? Read Ola Olukoyede’s Profile And Biography—-The Genius Media Nigeria reports that Nigeria’s President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Ola Olukoyede as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for a renewable term of four years pending a confirmation by the Nigerian Senate.
This online news platform understands that President Tinubu’s appointment of a new EFCC Chairman was disclosed in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale which stated that the President also appointed Mr Muhammad Hassan Hammajoda as Secretary of the Commission.
TGM reports that Olukoyede’s appointment as the new EFCC Chairman follows the resignation of the suspended Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Abdulrasheed Bawa.
A statement confirming the appointment of the new EFCC Chairman reads thus; “By the powers vested in President Bola Tinubu as established in section 2 (3) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act, 2004, that “the Chairman and members of the Commission, other than ex-officio members, shall be appointed by the President,” President Tinubu has approved the appointment of Mr. Ola Olukoyede to serve as the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for a renewable term of four years in the first instance, pending Senate confirmation.
Ola Olukoyede Biography:
Pastor Ola Olukoyede, a native of Ikere-Ekiti, Ekiti State, South-west Nigeria, was born on 14 October 1969, making him 54 years old as of 14 October. He was nominated by former President Muhammadu Buhari as the Secretary to EFCC in 2018.
Who is Ola Olukoyede?
- Olukoyede had previously worked as a lawyer at the law firm of former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo before assuming his role at the EFCC.
- He is a seasoned lawyer with expertise in compliance management, corporate intelligence, and fraud management.
- As a certified fraud examiner, he has led investigations and civil litigation related to fraud and financial crimes in International development projects.
- His specialization includes anti-corruption research and analysis, as well as corporate and business intelligence gathering and processing.
- He became the Secretary to EFCC in November 2018 after confirmation by the Nigerian Senate, replacing Emmanuel Aremo.
- Olukoyede’s nomination and subsequent appointment were not without controversy, with allegations of sidelining certain senators during the confirmation process.
- A member of the Fraud Advisory Panel (UK), highlighting his international involvement in anti-fraud initiatives.
- Additionally, he is a member of the Federal Government Technical Committee on the Repositioning of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.
- If his nomination is successful, Olukoyede would become the first Nigerian from the South of the country to lead the anti-corruption agency, EFCC, breaking a trend where all substantive chairpersons, including acting ones, have historically hailed from the Northern region.
New EFCC Chairman Profile: 10 Things About Ola Olukoyede
In this piece, TGM highlights 10 things to know about Olukoyede:
1. Olukoyede was born on October 14, 1969.
2.. Olukoyede is a native of Ikere-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
3. He had his university education at the Lagos State University; University of Lagos; Institute of Arbitration, France and the Kennedy School of Executive Education, University of Harvard, United States.
4. The Ekiti State-born EFCC chairman was a member of the Fraud Advisory Panel, United Kingdom.
5. Olukoyede is a lawyer with over 22 years of experience as a regulatory compliance consultant and specialist in fraud management and corporate intelligence.
6. Olukoyede worked at the law firm of former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo before joining the EFCC.
7. At the EFCC, Olukoyede previously served as the Chief of Staff to the Executive Chairman, Ibrahim Magu (2016-2018)
8. He served as the Secretary of the anti-graft agency between 2018 and 2023.
9. Findings also reveal that he is a Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, City of Refuge, Lagos Province 12, Shasha, Lagos State.
10. He’s a member of the Federal Government Technical Committee on the Repositioning of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.