https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Privacy Policy
  • TheGeniusMedia – Latest News, Naija News, and World News
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Genius Media NG
  • Login
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Genius Media NG
No Result
View All Result

Mass Action Against Google Over iPhone Data Blocked By United Kingdom Court

Tgmedia by Tgmedia
October 8, 2018
in News, Technology
0

RelatedPosts

BREAKING: NIJ Alumi Elect Muyiwa Akintunde As National ExCo President

BREAKING: José Mourinho Led Real Madrid Edge Espanyol In La Liga Thriller

BREAKING: 38 Year Old Former World Champion Boxer, Zolani Tete Shot Dead In South Africa

“Today’s judgment is extremely disappointing and effectively leaves millions of people without any practical way to seek redress and compensation when their personal data has been misused,”

 

London’s High Court on Monday blocked an attempt to bring legal action against Alphabet Inc’s Google over claims it had collected sensitive data from more than 4 million iPhone users although it said the company’s actions had been “wrongful”.

Richard Lloyd, a consumer activist who was behind the “Google You Owe Us” court challenge, had estimated that about 4.5 million people had been affected by the “Safari Workaround” and wanted the tech giant to pay out several hundred dollars in damages to each affected individual.

Google had argued the mass case brought by Lloyd, the only named claimant, was not appropriate and should not proceed.

“There is no dispute that it is arguable that Google’s alleged role in the collection, collation, and use of data obtained via the Safari Workaround was wrongful, and a breach of duty,” the judge, Mark Warby, said in his ruling.

However, he said the case brought by Lloyd did not support the contention that he and those he represented had suffered “damage” as specified by Britain’s Data Protection Act nor could the court allow such representative action to go ahead.

In his ruling, he said the main beneficiaries of the claim would have been those who funded it and the lawyers.

Lloyd said his group, to which 20,000 people had signed up to, would seek permission to appeal the decision.

“Today’s judgment is extremely disappointing and effectively leaves millions of people without any practical way to seek redress and compensation when their personal data has been misused,” he said in a statement.

“Google’s business model is based on using personal data to target adverts to consumers and they must ask permission before using this data. The court accepted that people did not give permission in this case yet slammed the door shut on holding Google to account.”

A Google spokeswoman said: “The privacy and security of our users are extremely important to us. This claim is without merit, and we’re pleased the Court has dismissed it

Google remains under pressure from lawmakers and regulators over its privacy practices in the US, where it has acknowledged making mistakes in the past.

In 2012, it agreed to pay a then-record civil penalty of 22.5 million dollars to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it misrepresented to Apple Safari Internet browser users that it would not place tracking “cookies” or serve them targeted ads.

Share this:

  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Tweet
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Post

JUST IN: Edo Assembly Resumes Plenary, Adopts 55 Sitting Days

Next Post

Ayodeji Balogun (Wizkid) honoured by Minnesota governor in U. S.

Related Posts

Education

President Buhari congratulates Obasanjo as he becomes First PhD holder at NOUN

by Tgmedia
January 21, 2018
0

President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo for bagging a doctorate degree at the National Open University...

Read more
CEO Of Ibeto Cement

BREAKING: Court Orders Immediate Arrest Of CEO Of Ibeto Cement Over Alleged N4.8bn Fraud

November 3, 2023

Twitter Drags Tolu Ogunlesi For Allegedly Lying About Amaechi’s Audio Tapes

January 7, 2019
Next Post

Ayodeji Balogun (Wizkid) honoured by Minnesota governor in U. S.

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Thegenius Media.com.ng is an Online Nigerian NEWS HUB with good coverage and reportage of Exclusive Stories, Daily News Updates, Politics, Entertainment, Crime, Lifestyle, Relationship Tips and Sports.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: thegeniusmedia1@gmail.com

Office Address

No 26 Oroleye Crescent off Abel Oreniyi Street.
Off Salvation Road, Opebi
Ikeja, Lagos

Tel:

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports

© TheGeniusMedia.com,ng

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Discover more from The Genius Media NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

%d