https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/ https://www.accessbankplc.com/
ADVERTISEMENT
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Privacy Policy
  • TheGeniusMedia – Latest News, Naija News, and World News
Friday, May 22, 2026
The Genius Media NG
  • Login
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
The Genius Media NG
No Result
View All Result
First Bank Ad First Bank Ad First Bank Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

NEITI: NNPC has not explained missing $22.7bn

Tgmedia by Tgmedia
March 13, 2018
in Energy, News
0
ADVERTISEMENT

RelatedPosts

As Expected Police Force Take Disciplinary Action Against Officer Who Threatened To Kill People Filming Him

Foreign Scholarship: NDDC Assures On Transparency And Fairness

BREAKING: Pandemonium As Bandit Scare Forces Students To Flee Schools In Ekiti [VIDEO]

LAGOS: The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, an agency tasked with cleaning up the country’s oil industry, has said even though financial accountability has improved, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation still has not explained billions of dollars of missing revenue.

While energy producers had cooperated and complied with requirements to publish payments, NEITI had struggled with the NNPC, the Executive Secretary of the agency, Waziri Adio, was quoted by Bloomberg to have said in a March 7 interview in Abuja.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the state oil company had not explained what it did with at least $22.7bn earned from the sale of oil licences and in dividends from its stake in Nigeria LNG Limited over a 15-year period.

“The sector is no longer the black hole that it once was, but we can still use more transparency. Things are opening up. There could be more in the area of contracts, ownership and expenditure transparency, but definitely there is some progress,” Adio stated.

The NNPC had said in the past that it had the authority of the government for its actions.

Royal Dutch Shell Plc, ExxonMobil Corporation, Chevron Corporation, Total and Eni operate joint ventures with the NNPC accounting for about 90 per cent of the output of Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari, who pledged during his 2015 election campaign to fight widespread graft in the oil and gas industry, appointed Adio in February 2016 to head NEITI.

ADVERTISEMENT

For all its work in auditing oil industry payments, critics say the agency remains toothless, lacking the power to compel companies to disclose payments or penalise errant producers.

NEITI’s annual audits had helped the government to recover billions of dollars that would have been lost, Adio added.

The NEITI law “does not give us the power to compel compliance or to enforce our recommendations,” he said. “But we have done our reports, with findings and recommendations, and we have shared them with the government.”

So far, the agency has produced reports covering the years from 1999 to 2015 and is working on those for 2016 and 2017, which are scheduled for public presentation in July and November. Before the end of this year, NEITI plans “to automate our data collection process and be able to provide real-time data and real-time analysis,” Adio noted.

NEITI was set up in 2004 after Nigeria acceded to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, which requires international energy companies and governments involved in mining to publish all their payments.

The NLNG is owned 49 per cent by the NNPC; 25.6 per cent by Shell; 15 per cent by Total and 10.4 per cent by Eni.

Share this:

  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Tweet
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Tumblr
  • More

Like this:

Like Loading…
" data-ad-slot="">
Previous Post

Zenith Bank announces N203 billion PBT for 2017 Financial Year

Next Post

OSINBAJO: Banks not impacting of Nigerians……40% underbanked

Related Posts

News

Democratic Republic Of Congo Starts Countdown To Vote As Protest Call Fizzles

by Tgmedia
December 29, 2018
0

Workers in DR Congo on Friday began preparations for long-awaited elections just two days away as a pre-vote protest called...

Read more

VIDEOS: Vanessa Bryant Pays Emotional Tribute To Kobe And Gianna At Their Memorial Service

February 24, 2020

TOO BAD !!! Family Of 6 And Their Pregnant Guest Found Dead In Lagos

September 4, 2019
Next Post

OSINBAJO: Banks not impacting of Nigerians...…40% underbanked

https://adronhomesproperties.com/
https://adronhomesproperties.com/
" data-ad-slot="">

About Us

Thegenius Media.com.ng is an Online Nigerian NEWS HUB with good coverage and reportage of Exclusive Stories, Daily News Updates, Politics, Entertainment, Crime, Lifestyle, Relationship Tips and Sports.

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Alert Us

Important Press Releases, Breaking Stories, Special Investigations: thegeniusmedia1@gmail.com

Office Address

No 26 Oroleye Crescent off Abel Oreniyi Street.
Off Salvation Road, Opebi
Ikeja, Lagos

Tel:

Copyright © 2024 TheGeniusMedia.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Health
  • Jobs
  • Sports

© TheGeniusMedia.com,ng

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Discover more from The Genius Media NG

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

%d